- About us
- BUY Buy
- COUNTRY BRAND Country Brand
InformationCenterReports Country reports Department reports Foreign trade reports Product-Destination worksheet Sectors reports Work documentsStatistical information Classification Uruguay XXI Exports Imports Innovative National Effort Macroeconomic Monitor Tools Buyers Exporters InvestorsGuides and programs Guides Programs Promotional material Brochures Business cases Catalogues Country presentation Events presentations Videos
- Information center
- Reports »
- Statistical information »
- Tools »
- Guides and programs »
- Promotional material »
- Press center »
Horses were introduced in Uruguay along with livestock activities and since then they have become part of the landscape, tools for agricultural production ...
- Horses were introduced in Uruguay along with livestock activities and since then they have become part of the landscape, tools for agricultural production and the main characters of different recreation and sport disciplines (high competition).
- Uruguay has excellent conditions for the development of equestrian activities. Its natural resources and climatic conditions make Uruguay a suitable location for the development of this sector.
- Exports in 2020 grew by 0.5% as compared to 2019 sales, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A large part of racing, instruction and riding horses are concentrated in the departments of Montevideo’s metropolitan area. Tacuarembó is the department with the highest concentration of horses, with 41,517 head, 10% of the total national stock.
- Uruguay is ranked 24th in the world in terms of equine stock. If we consider the ratio of inhabitants per horse, Uruguay ranks fourth in the world, with approximately one horse for every eight people.
- Uruguay has the most modern equestrian center in Latin America, an exclusive betting system that allows the exchange of races between Europe, North America and Latin America.